Friday, April 10, 2009

Things I didn't Expect with Twins



I have really enjoyed being the mom of twin girls. Each new milestone with them is so much fun and interesting. Here are some things I didn't expect with my twins:

1. That it would take me 8 months to be able to distinguish each baby by their own cry.
2. That I would be more amused than overwhelmed with them starting to crawl.
3. That they would have such different personalities.
4. They switch certain traits from time to time. You can't just say, "she's the fussy one, or she's the demanding one."
5. That strangers would constantly be asking if they were twins. ("No, they just happen to be the same age and dressed alike....."
6. That identical twins could have their unique look (at least to mom & dad).
7. That identical twins could have different cowlick patterns!
8. That they would grow and develop so differently with some things and so identically with others.
9. That my 2 year old would love them both as much as she does.
10. That nursing both wasn't as freakish or awkward as I thought it would be. I remember looking through pregnancy books when I was pregnant with Bella and seeing pictures. I showed Levi and thought how weird it was. I never thought that would be me. I never thought it would be possible.
11. That two little babies would sometimes be more convenient than one. (no wasting any baby food, because they share) I can't seem to think of any others at the moment....
12. That they would wear headbands only 2% of the time because it is a lot of work to keep two on.
13. That it would be hard to keep them in matching outfits during the day...blow-outs, food stains, etc.
14. I didn't realize how much I'd rely on my stroller to go ANYWHERE by MYSELF.
15. I didn't think I'd actually NOT mind going out of the house as much with 3 kids 2 and under. It's too much of a hassle. When I do go out by myself though, people are usually so helpful and sweet. At my brother's track meet, a man and his wife carried and pushed my stroller for 15 minutes to help me get it through bumpy grass and dirt. I had all three girls in the stroller. It was heavy.
16. That I would secretly hope to have another set of twins someday.

7 comments:

Amy Sorenson Roberts said...

you are such an awesome mom! you are so great with twins too! I know others who struggle with twins. and i guess its no secret any more that you would want another set! your brave!

Katie Goss said...

Or that any couple could have not one, not two, but three BEAUTIFUL children. That should be #17.

T!FF said...

how sweet! you are such a good mommmy! with your hands full but handling it just fine! i am so busy!!! and i don't even have a little one yet! i guess you just learn to prioritize differently! i can't wait for one or possibly a set of twins myself!

Chelsie said...

You are so neat. I'm glad we're friends. This was very insightful!

Angi Snyder said...

Oh my gosh, I haven't seen you guys forever! They look totally different now. You forgot to mention that Kailia has TWO cowlicks, which is how I've told them apart forever! I miss you guys! Izzi asks everyday if she can play with Bella, we need to get together.

Leo said...

i've always wanted twins. i think it's great. i'm glad you are enjoying it. i'm very jealous.

Tiffany said...

A very cute post -- thanks for sharing :)